Information For New Residents

Welcome to Brookfield!

We know that moving to a new community can seem overwhelming. Hopefully, this page will help make your transition a little easier. Please call us at 258-3377 if you have any questions.

Sign-up for City & County Notifications

By signing up for the City Hall notifications you will receive an emails and/or text message from city officials of city alerts such as: City council meeting changes, reminders of City Hall holiday hours, water breaks, snow removal ordinances, water boil orders. Click here to sign up.

By signing up for Code Red for Linn County you’ll stay informed and safe when there is an emergency. The City of Brookfield has partnered with CodeRED to provide county-wide community alerts and notifications. CodeRED is used to send geographically targeted communications during critical incidents.  Localized or county-wide messages are sent, dependent upon need: lost, abducted, or missing children or vulnerable adults, fires and evacuations, sex (predatory) offender notifications, increases in crime (e.g., crime alerts for neighborhoods and businesses), bio-terrorism and hazards materials or chemical spills, and many other things. Learn more about this by clicking here.


County and city taxes on personal property (vehicles, trailers) and real estate (land, buildings, lots) can be paid after November 1st. City taxes can be paid here at our office. County taxes can be paid at the County Court House, 108 N. High Street, Linneus.Taxes become delinquent after December 31st. A 2%/month penalty will be added after that date.Both county and city taxes are mailed to you, but if you prefer you may pick up a copy of your city tax statement any time after November 1st at our office.

Water Service

Your water bill covers water, sewer, and trash services.

In compliance with Ordinance 98-25, a water and sewer deposit is required for each new service. This deposit will be applied to your bill upon written request after 24 months of no delinquent payments. If you move, the deposit will be transferred to your new address. Or, if you move out of town, this deposit will be applied to your final bill upon written request, and any balance will be refunded to you.

An additional deposit will be required if your water service is shut off for non-payment.

The senior citizen trash rate (for 65 and over) gives a $2.00 discount on the trash bill. If you qualify for this rate, you must request it.

There is a night deposit available. The secure Drop Box is to the right of the front entrance to City Hall.

City Stickers

City stickers are required on all licensed vehicles for Brookfield residents. Personal property taxes must be paid before we can issue the sticker.  If you did not pay personal property tax in Brookfield you will need to present taxes paid for your prior residence.  City stickers are $5.00 per car/truck/SUV, $2.00 for motorcycle, and $5.00 for 4-wheeler, Side-by-side, and golf cart.

Failure to display a valid city sticker may result in a ticket of violation.

Business Licenses

If you decide to open a business, you are required to purchase a business license. For more information, please call the office. Click here for more information.

Building Permits 

If you plan to build or add on to your property, you may need a building permit. Please call 258-3377.

Junk Car Ordinance 

Owning a vehicle that is unlicensed, inoperable, and has been parked, stored, or displayed in a residential area for a period in excess of thirty (30) days is prohibited. Doing so will subject you to a fine and a summons to appear in court.

Voter Registration

See the City Clerk at City Hall (116 West Brooks, Brookfield) Click here for more information.

Utility Companies

  • Empire District (gas company): 1-800-424-0427
  • AmerenUE: 1-800-552-7583

Click here for more information


Fireworks are allowed within the city limits; however, there are certain restrictions. For more information, contact our office.

Dog Licensing 

The City of Brookfield requires all pet owners to have their dog(s) licensed. You may purchase a dog tag at City Hall. Please bring proof of rabies vaccination from your veterinarian. We MUST have this before we can issue a tag.

Community News 

School and community news can be seen on cable Channel 6. If you are a member of a not-for-profit organization and would like to air an upcoming activity on Channel 6, please contact this office.

Yard Clippings, Leaves 

Lawn clippings and leaves can be taken to the compost site (on North Brunswick Street, just south of East Sedgwick Street). All yard waste is to be removed from containers (plastic bags, barrels, etc.) before depositing at the site. There is no charge. There is also a facility for branches and brush at the same address. Follow signs.

Trash & Appliance Pick-up Services

Call WCA Trash Services, Chillicothe, MO for additional information at 1-888-935-0711.
Click here for more information


The driver’s written exam and driving test are given in the Brookfield City Hall every Thursday from 9:30 am to noon and 12:30 to 4 pm. Vehicle and operator license renewals can be completed at the License Office, 223 N. Main Street. Call 258-8248.

How to Reach Us
City Hall258-3377Water Plant258-7442
Water Office258-2662Rosehill Cemetery258-3377
Code Enforcement258-3377Police Department258-3385
Parks & Recreation258-5644Fire Department258-3332
Buildings & Grounds258-3377Economic Development258-3377
Swimming Pool258-5144Public Works258-3377

911 Service is available in our community